Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Traditions.

A tradition is defined as "the transmission of customs and beliefs from generation to generation." My dad is this. He IS the definition of tradition. I look to my dad for all of my interests, because ours our one in the same. We like to eat. Try new things. Drink. Travel. The South. One tradition we have in particular you would probably laugh at. We do Mardi Gras in St. Louis. EVERY. YEAR. And we do it GOOD.
I mention it because this weekend will mark our 15th year going to the parade. It started just going to watch, then tailgating in parking lots, and then to actually being a part of it last year. We're doing things our normal way this year though, by tailgating again. My dad makes this awesome jambalaya, packed with tons of shrimp, chicken and andouille sasuage. I'll make beignets like the ones at Cafe Du Monde. Just like they do in New Orleans. Then he has his own special recipe for Bloody Mary's that he always makes way too spicy, so we keep warm. It's rare Mardi Gras actually happens to land on a warm weekend. Like this upcoming one (20 blood chilling degrees and will dropping all day long). Since my brother and I have became of age, he's also started to make a different cocktail every year. Hurricanes, Hand grenades and Jungle juice. He goes all out. We basically just have a party with everyone who wants to join and it feels like family. It's what I like most about the St. Louis area. Everyone is so open to each other and it feels like you are home. I'll be traveling with my husband all over the country in a few months and possibly the world, with him being in the Air Force, and I know how badly I'm going to miss being in this area. So even if its only once a year, just go crazy with the ones you love. Make it count. And make it a tradition.

Recipe for my fellow foodies.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/cajun-jambalaya-recipe2.html

No comments:

Post a Comment